Monday, February 27, 2006

The Constant Gardener

Terra and I just watched this movie last night. I'd never heard of it previously, but of the movies on PPV that were showing around when we wanted to watch, it was the one that looked the most interesting. And it was. It looks like it might be a British Film (but not a comedy!), since it was about the British High Commission and some stuff that was happening in Kenya. It was in one sense very political (against big pharmaceutical companies and "colonialistic" pracitices of Britain), but it was well done so it didn't feel too preachy. It follows the story of a man whose wife is killed after she digs up some dirt on a company, and how he eventually continues her quest to expose them.
The movie started out a bit slow, and I was worried that it would be a dud. But I noticed after about 30-45 minutes that it had really sucked me in and captivated me. There is one "romantic" scene (not quite any nudity) at the beginning, and a little bit of nudity later (she's about 9 months pregnant, so it has a very non-sexual feel), but other than that it was good. Flashes of bad language, but only by certain characters, with whom the language fits. The story developed well, and the ending was both fantastic (how they zinged the bad guys) and yet not the "happy" ending that one would expect. It also showed some scenes from Africa that were quite stirring (a raid on a village where the raiders are capturing children to take them into captivity). The line in the movie is, "That's just the way life is here." It was particularly stirring since I had just heard a radio documentary on CBC about these type of raiders in Uganda (which is right beside Kenya), so the story fits with what I had recently learned. And yes, I know listening to CBC radio makes me boring. Oh well.
So, that's my movie review. I recommend you see it. Just be prepared - if you're honest, it makes you struggle with some issues that in many ways, we'd be more comfortable not knowing about.

4 Comments:

Blogger something witty said...

And yes, I know listening to CBC radio makes me boring. Oh well.

that aint what makes you borring. nerdy, but not borring (i listen to cbc also..... but with more coolness) your boringness comes from the fact that you actually know stuff about accounting!
grin

12:45 PM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger braderick said...

accounting and watching cows...boring.

11:50 PM, February 27, 2006

 
Blogger braderick said...

we won soccer gold!! we beat the team you saw us play in edmonton to win it! it was most awesome!!

8:49 PM, March 06, 2006

 
Blogger Pants since 1986 said...

sounds like a interesting movie. i've almost wanted to see it for a while. Maybe this will push me over the edge. There is nothing wrong with watching cows. Smelling them on the other hand...

6:00 PM, March 08, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home